Saturday, September 02, 2006

the green fairy, and everything else in between



call it a reaction to not having certain things at my ready disposal, or just a longing for the things left behind, but recently i have found myself longing for those little details that i wish i had indulged in once more before i left...

one of these pretty little things that i have begun to crave even more now that i know i can't have it again for a while is absinthe. while only having tasted it's mysterious taste two or three times, it's one thing that i had meant to find again this summer before leaving but was unsuccessful in my quest for indulgence.

although extremely difficult to find in it's entirety (meaning in it's full form) halifax did offer up a lovely substitute/version...but the real mccoy is irreplacable. when taken properly it offers up a drunk like no other, and one that will not soon be forgotten. and if the wormwood content is strong enough, you're in for quite a good ride...say hi to the green fairy for me, if you're lucky enough to see her!

but on the other hand, with not a whole helluva lot at my disposal, when perusing the liquor store aisle(s) of my local 'pick and save' i've found myself exploring some of the lesser known items (to me that is), such as the many many lovely wines this world has to offer. i've always prided myself on being a vodka man, but my palate for wine certainly has merit, and room to grow.

my current bottle of choice is a "yellow tail" red cabernet, which just so happens to stem from south eastern australia. although not a lesser-known wine, it's become one of my favorites.

check it out!

No comments: